Monday, April 25, 2011

(Review) Old Grand-Dad 100 proof Bonded Bourbon Whiskey

Mystique: 1-10 points
Score: 2
It doesn't really have any

Color: 1-10 points
Score: 8
Nice dark garnet

Scent: 1-10 points
Score: 8
bourbon / vanilla / caramel

Initial Impression: 1-10 points
Score: 6
Cheap, old mannish and unexciting

Mouthfeel: 1-10 points
Score: 3
very oily / coating

Taste: 1-10 x 4 points
Score: 16
big burn / alcohol / slight woody taste

Raw Score Total: 41 points

Bonus Points
Value 1-10 points
Score: 2
It's not that cheap, but it tastes cheap $19.99 for a 750ml

Total Score: 43 points

I don't normally drink this stuff. I bought a small bottle just to do this review. You might see this in some old bar or maybe your grandmother has some sitting in the liquor cabinet, but I don't think its very popular anymore. There's good reason for that as this is the worst bourbon I have ever had. I drink bourbon pretty regularly from about five or so different brands. I've had many others over the years, but never tried The Old Grand-Dad. No one in my family drank it, so I can't even say maybe I sneaked some out of the liquor cabinet as a kid. It does look and smell great so I had high hopes that I had possibly found another cheap good bourbon, but as soon as it hits your tongue the horror show begins. Captain Spaulding couldn't burn your mouth with a flame thrower any worse. I drink Wild Turkey regularly and I'm used to high proof bourbons, but this doesn't even come close. I think me experience went like this:

“ Ahhhh...AHHHHH!...EWWW...BLECH!”

First it's the big burn on your tongue. You’re then wondering if you just drank rubbing alcohol. After that maybe someone must have pinched your nose until you opened your mouth and they rubbed a tongue depressor all over your tongue until your breath is the same as a Canadian Beaver. Next someone must have crashed the Exxon Valdez in your mouth to create an oil slick this big. Finally you're dazed and just trying to figure out what the hell you just did. If you add some water to it, which usually opens up the flavor of bourbon the whole horror show completely disappears like it folded up it's tent and moved on to the next town. It's work is done here. It just leaves a vaguely alcohol smell and oily aftertaste where it was. A strange experience indeed. The price is high too - it's not a value by any stretch. If your looking for a cheaper bourbon that's good, buy Evan Williams and skip the tickets to this horror show.

No comments:

Post a Comment