Friday, November 16, 2012

Sir Edwards 12 yr old Scotch 80 proof




Mystique: 1-10 points
Score: ?/6 it was new I have to give it something, It's got a Scottish dude on it.

Color: 1-10 points
Score: 7 light amber turns pale yellow in glass

Scent: 1-10 points
Score: 7 oak, peat, alcohol smell

Initial impression: 1-10 points
Score: 7 inexpensive, taste is smooth, not bad

Mouthfeel: 1-10 points
Score: 9 good, not too oily, little burn

Taste: 1-10 x 4 points
Score: 32 Smokey, smooth a little peat/oak hint of sugary sweet

Raw Score:  54 points

Bonus: Value 1-10 points
Score: 10 $18 at my local store very inexpensive for 12yr old scotch

Total Score: 64 points

So I must start by saying I'm not a Scotch drinker, but I was checking some out with some friends and I decided to pick one up. We were drinking some Johnny Walker Black and rail stuff so all I was really basing my purchase on was to get something blended, 12yr old and inexpensive. I happened upon what was a new product at my local store, Sir Edwards. It fit the bill and hey it's got a Scottish gentleman on it so there ya go.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this purchase it tasted smooth, had little burn and not too much oak and peat aftertaste.  It has enough there to know it's Scotch, but it's not overpowering. Mixed in a Perfect Rob Roy it gets a little lost to the Vermouth. There's still a little smoke and peat but it almost completely blends out the taste.  It's a very smooth cocktail, but with no more bite than a traditional Manhattan. I didn't get the sudden urge to play golf or schedule a high power business lunch, but I did find a pleasant to drink, inexpensive alternative for that after work un-winder, when the Scotch mood hits me.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment