Wednesday, March 30, 2011

(Review) Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum (92 proof)

Mystique: 1-10 points
Score: 8
hyped / maybe more if i was into tattoo culture

Color: 1-10 points
Score: 8
Deep gold / this is not navy rum it's gold rum

Scent: 1-10 points
Score: 9
vanilla bean / sugar cane / mace spice / whiff of alcohol

Initial Impression: 1-10 points
Score: 9
No way this is Navy Rum, but it's got a Hula Girl

Mouthfeel: 1-10 points
Score: 8
no aftertaste / disappears quickly

Taste: 1-10 x 4 points
Score: 32
blended / little vanilla / tiny burn / buttery aftertaste

Raw Score Total: 74 points

Bonus Points:
Value 1-10 points
Score: 7
It's priced right in the middle of the pack

Total Score: 81 points

I drink a good bit of rum and this came highly recommended by friends so I was looking forward to reviewing it. It's got some hype about it and appears that is especially so if you're into the tattoo culture because of it's namesake. I held the bottle up to the light and thought it has a nice color, but this is the lightest ‘navy rum’ I've ever seen. It looks like a gold rum and is about the same color as Captain Morgan so I was feeling a little less than full on pirate.

It tastes pretty good with almost no aftertaste or oily-ness. A little vanilla with a buttery finish. I smelled the spices but really didn't taste any of them. Perhaps they were looted by pirates! It has a strange taste that it's blended, like it's not smooth enough or something. I really couldn't put my finger on exactly what that weird taste was. I wouldn't drink this stuff straight so I tried it in some coke. Mixed with soda the flavor almost completely disappears. It just leaves a sweet buttery hint. Not bad for people that don't want to taste the alcohol in their drinks. There are plenty of other rums I like better than this one. It's good, but there are better choices out there around the same price. If you don't want to taste alcohol in your cocktails or you have guests that don't, try mixing up something with this instead of that vodka drink next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment